You Don't Know

Chapter 3 - Plan C

By Purple Penguin

Zell lay on his bed, his head resting on his arms at the end of the bed.

“What about Bobby?” I asked.

He frowned. “No, he’s too big to be called something like that?”

The puppy was playing with a squeaky toy Chicobo on the floor beside the bed. I sat on the floor trying to pick a decent name for Zell’s dog. There was no way I was letting Zell name that thing something stupid.

“Well he’ll be big and strong when he’s grown up so he’s needs a name to match.”

“Butch?”

He raised an eyebrow. “No.”

“Hercules?”

“No.”

“Hyperion?”

He paused. “That’s not bad.”

I smirked. “What? You really want to be reminded of me every time you call the mutt?” I laughed but he didn’t seem to find it as funny as I did. He offered me a fake smile and then moved to pick up the mutt.

“Hyperion? Do you like your name?”

I frowned in confusion at him.

“Anyway you’re here for Plan C, right?”

“Yeah.” I said quietly.

Zell sat on the bed with the puppy. “Squall’s a hero right? He always has to play the brave, fearless leader so maybe he’d like someone else to save him for once.”

“Squall? Play the damsel in distress?” I laughed.

“He might like it. Wouldn’t you be grateful if someone jumped to your rescue?”

“I guess. Where did you get this brilliant idea from?”

“Rinoa.”

“What?”

“She fell for Squall when he jumped to her rescue.”

“Yeah and look how long that lasted.”

“That was different. Squall and Rinoa weren’t meant to be.”

“And you think that me and Squall are?”

He hesitated. “Well... you’ve got more of a chance than Rinoa.... What have you got to lose?”

“My pride.”

He gave me a look like a displeased parent.

“Okay, okay, I’ll try.”

I hacked at the twentieth Grat, it shrieked in pain before it died. I wiped the sweat from my forehead and set off in search of a T-rexuar to take me frustration out on. Call me pathetic but my lover has been away for almost a week, that’s the longest I’ve been without sex. He made me addicted to sex, so much for me being the frigid iceberg everyone expects me to be.

I stopped walking and scowled at nothing in particular. Were T-Rexuar’s exist or something? I turned round at the sound of a roar and finally a large T-Rexuar pushed through the trees and walked up to me. Finally. Good, he was a big bugger. I waited till it got close then got ready to strike and pulled Lionheart back to hack at it but suddenly Seifer pushed me out the way and attacked my monster. What the hell was he playing at?!

The monster grew anger with me and lost all interest in me. I stood there fuming. Well, there was no way I was letting him kill MY monster. I cast a Thunderaga into the ground near its feet and it turned tail and fled.

Seifer looked bewildered. “What was the for? I was going to kill it!”

“That was my monster! Do you know how long I’ve been looking for that thing?!”

He glared at me. “I saved you from that thing!”

“Saved?! I’ve been looking for a T-Rexuar to kill for hours! You stole it from me!”

“I did not!”

“What’s going on with you? Why are you always hanging around being annoying?”

“Annoying? I’m being nice.”

“Well don’t.”

He glared at me.

I crouched in a bush; some leaves tickled my ear. Seifer didn’t want me to get too close in case Squall saw me, so I was supposed to wait for him. I wasn’t too sure about this plan, but if it went badly then Seifer would still be single. I kind of hope Seifer wouldn’t have any luck with Squall and maybe he’d learn to love me instead. I’m more hopeful than before, I mean he has given me a puppy and he’s nicer to me, so that’s good, right?

I looked up when I heard a roar, I’d better be careful. There may be loads of T-Rexuars around here and here I am sitting in a bush with no magic junctioned. I’m a sitting duck.

Seifer had been gone for a while so either he and Squall had got on really well or they had got into another fight. I wondered if I should go and find them. I stood from my hiding place and glanced around at another roar. That one sounded really close. I turned around to come face-to-face with a T-rexuar.

“Why are you always behind all the trouble? Why do you play the bully all the time?”

“I wasn’t doing anything wrong.”

“And since when have you teamed up with Zell?”

“Why? Jealous?”

Both of them turned as someone screamed.

“Wha-”

“ZELL!” Seifer took off through the trees, he’d forgotten about his partner in crime.

Squall stood there as Seifer rushed off, he shook his head and followed the blonde. He arrived just for the last blow; he jumped back as the dead dino hit the floor and he stood there watching as Seifer ran to Zell’s side. He started to think he was right about Seifer and Zell, he believe it watching this, it was hard not to.

Seifer knelt and pulled Zell into his lap. The petite blonde was unconscious with a gash on the forehead.

“Squall, snap out of it! I need some magic.”

The brunette cast a Cura on Zell, the gash on his forehead vanished but he still didn’t move.

“Why isn’t he waking up?” Seifer shook him gently.

“I don’t know. Maybe he hit his head harder than you thought.”

Seifer bit his lip and lifted Zell into his arms, heading to the infirmary. He felt more than a little guilty; it was his fault that Zell was sitting in a bush with no junctions.

I opened my eyes to this white blur, there were muffled voices coming from... somewhere. I moaned when I jostled.

“Zell?” Someone said.

I couldn’t see who that was or where they were so I just kept my eyes closed and hoped the blur would fade. I heard a new voice and suddenly I was lying on something solid and stable.

“What happened?” A familiar voice asked.

“Doctor-”

Yes, Dr. Kadowacki, that’s it.

“Did you do this to him?”

“What? No!” I knew that voice.

“Seifer?” I whispered.

Someone touched my hand and I looked up straight into his deep green eyes. He looked down on me with concern and I don’t think he realized how beautiful he was.

“Are you okay?”

I nodded but winced, instantly regretting it.

The doctor looked at me from beside Seifer. “How do you feel?”

“Bit headachy but that’s it.”

“You were lucky, you should know better than to go to the training centre with no junctions.” She glanced at Seifer then at me and left.

I suddenly noticed Squall leaning on the wall. “I’m leaving now.” He glared at Seifer.

The blonde winced and sat on the sat of the bed.

“It didn’t go well?”

“No.”

“Tell me what happened.”

He waved a hand. “That doesn’t matter, I’m sorry you got hurt.”

“S’okay.”

“I killed the T-Rexuar if it’s any conciliation.”

I frowned, I realized I didn’t know how I got here. “Did you bring me here?”

“Yeah, cos er you were unconscious.” He looked uncomfortable.

I smiled. “Thank you... for saving my life.”

He hesitatingly returned the smile.

Return to Archive | next | previous