You Don't Know

Chapter 1 - Plan A

By Purple Penguin

I sat resting my head on the back of the sofa.

“Please stop pacing you’re making me dizzy.”

He stopped for a second, fidgeting. “Okay, just run me through this again.”

He looked very un-Seifer-ish, nervous, worried and vulnerable. It was very cute and I had to smile.

“It’s simple. Squall has a break in ten minutes, just hang out with him and be nice.”

He frowned. “This is your brilliant plan?”

“One of them, this plan A.”

He looked dubious. “I don’t know about this, teasing Squall is the only way to get him to react, if I just talk to him he’ll ignore me.”

“He will not, I talk to him.”

“Yeah, but does he talk back?”

I opened my mouth to speak; trying to think of a time would Squall spoke to me. I shut my mouth again my mind going blank.

Seifer smirked at me in triumph.

“Well, I’m sure he’ll appreciate it if you stop being annoying, you know Squall hates annoying people.”

“Maybe.” He let out a shaky breath.

I smiled. “It’ll be fine, if it doesn’t work then we’ll go on to plan B.”

Squall would want Seifer by the time I was finished and if he still didn’t then he was an idiot. Seifer didn’t have to change for me I loved him already. It hurt a little more than I expected it would, he was so willing to change for Squall, to do what Squall wanted, to be who Squall wanted. All I wanted was for him to love me and he wouldn’t.

“Hey Chicken!”

“Huh?”

“I’ve calling you for the last couple of minutes where were you?”

I tried to smile. “Just thinking.”

He turned to face the door. “Right I’m ready you coming?”

“Of course, I wouldn’t miss this.”

As we walked down the hall I caught him looking at me strangely.

“What?”

“You’re not just doing this to make me look silly are you?”

I smiled, trying not to laugh. “No, of course not.”

“But I thought you hated me and I can’t think of any other reason as to why you’re doing this.”

“I don’t hate you and everyone deserves to be happy right?”

I could tell he didn’t really believe me.

“Besides nothing else interesting happens round here.”

He looked like he believed that more. I breathed a quiet sigh in relief.

We walked into the library and past Squall ho was leaning on the wall reading a book. I settled at a table and Seifer sat beside me.

“Right, he’s going on a break in a minute so you can go over there are follow him to the cafeteria while talking to him and being nice. And remember his name is Squall not Leonhart or Puberty boy.” I kept my voice hushed and quiet.

“I know that. Right here goes.”

He walked over to Squall and I moved to another table to get a better view.

“Squall.”

The brunette looked up at the blonde who was blocking his light. “What do you want Seifer?”

“Nothing, who said I wanted anything?”

“Why are you here?”

Seifer shrugged. “What are you reading?”

“Why do you care?”

Seifer gritted his teeth.

I frowned. Mentally screaming at him. ‘No Seifer, don’t get mad!’

“I’m making conversation like all normal people do.” He tone had become harsh and he leant on the wall, trapping the brunette between himself and the bookshelf.

I cringed when Squall shoved him away. I knew he’d do that, Seifer often came off as threatening what with towering over everyone and he was a known bully.

Squall walked out, glaring at me on his way out. He must have seen me watching. Seifer sighed and shrugged at me.

“Now what?”

“You can’t give up so easily. You have to find him and apologize.”

He winced. “Me? apologize?”

I gave him a stern look. “Yes, you threatened him!”

“I did not, I was being nice.”

I shook my head. “You trapped him, he felt threatened!”

He looked thoughtful. “Since when did you become so clever Chicken?”

I smiled. “I see things and everybody knows that Seifer Almasy is a bully.” I poked him in the chest on the word ‘bully.”

He gave me a fearful look. “You mean I have to be nice to everyone?”

“It might help.”

“No! I might turn into a nice guy! My worst nightmare!”

I chuckled. “Don’t worry that’ll never happen.”

He sighed in relief then frowned when he realized I’d insulted him. “Hey I could be if I wanted to but I just don’t okay?”

“Okay.” I spun him round to face the door. “Now go and find him.” Reluctantly I let him go and off he went.

I spotted Squall viewing the missions board he frowned at whatever he was reading before moving onto the cafeteria. He wasn’t getting away so easily. I can be nice; I’ve got to prove Zell wrong.

“Squall!” I saw him cringe.

“What is it this time Seifer?”

I stopped beside him. “Look I’m.... s-sorry.... for what happened in the library, I was just trying to be nice.”

He raised an eyebrow. “You? Nice?”

“Yes, why is that such a shock to everyone?”

“I didn’t think you knew the meaning of the word.”

I frowned. “Well can I eat with you? I hate to eat alone.”

“What about Zell?”

“What about him?”

“You were with him in the library why don’t you eat with him?”

“Oh... well... he ...er w-wanted to... er... s-stay there and... study.”

Squall glanced back to see Zell pretending to shadow box the air like he always did. “Well he’s there now.”

I waved a hand. “You know Zell he’s just... strange.” I looked back at him. “So can I eat with you?”

He looked a little irritated. “Whatever.” He walked off.

That wasn’t a no, I grinned at Zell and turned to follow the brunette.

I queued up for lunch, unfortunately Seifer followed me. What is the matter with him today? Zell isn’t a lot better, since when did they hang out. I had thought maybe they were a couple in secret, that would explain a few things, but then why is Seifer bugging me? I know it’s hard to come out when people looked up to you. No that anyone looks up to Seifer, expect because he’s really tall, but people do respect Zell.

Seifer queued up with me while Zell walked past, I saw they’re eyes meet for a few seconds before he walked off to a far off table but I knew his eyes hadn’t left Seifer.

I got my food and Seifer followed me to a table, he smiled in a really freakish non-Seifer kind of way.

“Seifer, are you okay?” At that moment I half expected some flying pigs to swoop past the window.

He nodded. I ate my food, keeping one eye on Zell who was still watching Seifer. After a few mind-numbing minutes of small talk I couldn’t take it anymore.

“Okay, what’s going on?”

“What?” He looked innocent. Seifer? Innocent? I know it’s hard to believe isn’t it?

“What are you playing at? Why are you sitting with me? Why is Zell following us? And why are you suddenly being nice to both of us?”

“I....er...well...it’s hard to explain...”

I gave him a look.”

He opened his mouth to speak and glanced at Zell nervously. The blonde mouthed something to him but I didn’t know what it was.

I grunted and left him there on his own, I’m suddenly not hungry.

I saw Squall leave and ran over to Seifer. “Well?”

He shook his head. “So, what’s plan B?”

Return to Archive | next | previous