Numb

Chapter 4

By Purple Penguin

Squall’s eyes flittered around the room, it was the first time he had been in Seifer’s room let alone slept in there. It was different from his own more colourful but not overly so like Rinoa’s room. He had yet to break up with her, soon though he hoped. Seifer sighed and shifted in his sleep, rolling onto his side so he faced Squall. They were curled up together or anything like a girly teenage couple, he wasn’t even sure they were a couple. So they had gotten to the sleeping with each other after sex stage and in a bed rather than the training centre, but they didn’t seem to do the things that Rinoa seemed to want from a relationship. Squall glanced at the clock. It was 2:30, he glanced back at Seifer. It had almost been a week since he last saw ghost Seifer, maybe it was a good thing though he hadn’t been to the usual spot for a while. The brunette slipped out of the covers silently, pulling on his leather pants and his jacket not bothering with the tee avoiding the creaking floorboards he walked towards the door.

Seifer opened one eye hearing the brunette leave before shutting it again when the door closed. Squall walked through the silent halls of garden that were familiar to him now. The brunette headed for the usual place.

“I started to think you’d stopped coming here.”

“I had.”

“But?” The blonde sat but beside him on the rock.

“I wont let you die!”

Seifer chuckled. “Wow! Emotion, that’s new.”

“I think I changed things.”

“What? You and Seify sharing bed already?”

Squall looked down, causing the blonde to chuckle. “Don’t cry sweetie, I don’t know if you changed things, I’m merely a future echo of him.” He pointed to garden. “So if you changed what happened before, I’ll stop remembering what happened before.”

“Y-You won’t know if I changed it?”

“Nope.”

“Then how will you know if I save you?”

“I’m still here aren’t I?”

Squall frowned. “I came here to make you tell me what mission it was that killed you.”

The bit his lip smiled. “Okay so mission isn’t the best word for it, but I didn’t want you to do anything stupid.”

“You lied to me.”

“Yes and no, it was more like an adventure with a tragic ending, well tragic depends on the person I guess.”

“Did I cry?” Squall asked. “Was I there?”

“I know I can’t tell you because you’ll do the opposite and then who knows what will happen.”

“You could live.”

“We both could die.”

“So I was there?”

The blonde opened his mouth to deny that but he shut it again. “Yes you were there.”

“Was I helping you or was I against you?”

Squall watched his lover close his eyes at the memory.

Tired from all the running, got to stop.

The mob drawing ever closer.

All alone and Squall watching from the side-lines all wound up in his duty to worry about an ex-lover.

Seifer blinked and turned to a concerned Squall, it hurt to sit beside the man he loved, he man who betrayed him.

“What is it? Tell me! I don’t want you to die.”

The blonde smiled. “Good, that’s a start. Tell the other me that, not now but when things start to get bad.”

“Bad?”

“Don’t leave him alone okay?”

“You die alone?”

“Not really but with no one… you know.”

Squall nodded. “I promise.” He touched the blonde’s hand but his fingers went straight though to touch stone, but the blonde still smiled.

“You better go, get back to that lover of yours.”

Squall nodded and got up not looking back as he headed to his lover’s dorm. He quietly crossed the room and sat on the edge of the bed to take his clothes off.

“Where you been?”

The brunette jumped, turning to see the blonde propped up on his elbows.

“For a walk.”

The blonde scoffed. “You know if you’d rather go to her you don’t have to come back.”

“Her?” Squall let his jacket fell to the floor. “I didn’t go see Rinoa?”

“Uh huh.”

Squall leaned over and pressed his fingers into his lover’s cheek. Seifer flinched. “You’re really cold.”

“Yes, it’s cold outside of garden. I couldn’t sleep so I went for a walk.” He stood and pushed the leather down his legs then stepped out of them. He slipped under the covers, rubbing his arms and legs to warm them. “Besides- I’ve never slept with Rinoa.”

“What, never?”

“No and I’m going to break up with her remember?”

“Why?”

At the frown he got from Squall he added. “I mean why have you never- you know.”

“I never wanted to.”

“But you slept with me.”

“I like being with you.” He closed his eyes so he didn’t see Seifer’s small smile.

Someone was knocking violently and continuously on Seifer’s dorm door. Both boys groaned and sat up sleepily. The blonde slipped out of bed and pulled on a pair of boxers. “Stay here.” He told Squall.

He got to the door. “Okay, okay geez.” He opened it and came face to face with a fully dressed Rinoa who looked very pissed.

“Rinoa to what do I owe this pleasure.”

She put her hands on her hips, glaring at him. “Cut the crap Seifer, this is serious. Squall is missing.”

“Missing? You mean he’s not in your bed?”

“You must have done something! I know there’s a thing between you two.”

Seifer started to panic there for a moment before she added. “I don’t know what is it but there’s a connection and I don’t like it, what did you do to my Squall?”

“You always blame me don’t you? Maybe he’d hiding from you, because he’s realized how horrible you are.”

She let her eyes run over him.

“Are you checking me out?”

She scoffed. “Oh please I have some taste.” she paused. “It’s 9:00 and you’re not dressed yet.” she looked beyond him at the bedroom door. “Have you got company?”

“I don’t see how that is any of your business.”

“It’s my business if she or he…” at his look she gave him a ‘I’m not stupid look’. “…has seen my Squally.”

Seifer smirked. “Squally?”

She pushed past him, moved out of the way as he grabbed for her heading for the bedroom door.

“Rinoa! You can’t go in the BEDROOM!” He yelled loudly to alert Squall.

Squall watched Seifer pull the bedroom door to a jar and walk out to open the main door. He was about to close his eyes again when he heard Seifer speak.

“Rinoa to what do I owe this pleasure?”

He sat up. Rinoa? What was she doing here? He jumped up and watched through the little gap. He saw Rinoa standing with her hands on her hips, glaring at Seifer.

“Squall’s missing? You mean he’s not in your bed?”

The brunette’s lips twitched upwards slightly. If he didn’t know better he’d say that Seifer was jealous, they were fighting over him. He saw the girl’s eyes skim over his lover’s body and his eyes narrowed. Okay so it would keep Rinoa off his case not she couldn’t have Seifer, the blonde was his. That last thought surprised him. His girlfriend’s eyes fell on him and he automatically took a step back.

“Have you got company?”

Oh no, bad, very bad. Squall’s eyes widened as the girl pushed past Seifer and headed towards him, he heard the blonde warn him and glanced around for a place to hide. It had crossed his mind to get back into bed, sit up against the pillows and wait for Rinoa and then tell her that there was someone else as much as he knew Seifer would love it he wasn’t sure he should out them both. Squall quickly rolled under the bed, his head at the end of the bed. Rinoa burst in with Seifer hot on her heels, she frowned at the empty bed then looked at the closet, opening the door. No one was there.

“See? Do you believe me now? There’s no one here? Go find your boyfriend and stop blaming me.”

She turned on her heel and stormed out. Seifer sighed in relief. “I don’t know what you ever saw in her.”

“She’s only worried about me.” Squall pulled himself out from under the bed wincing when his back clicked. “I’ll break up with her soon, promise.”

Return to Archive | next | previous