Disclaimer: All places, characters are not mine, nothing here is mine, everything belongs to Squaresoft.

Meant To Be

Chapter 19/Epilogue

By Purple Penguin

3 years later.

“No, I can’t do it.”

“Of course you can.”

“No, it’s the worse kind of fate. What if I look like an idiot?”

“You always look like an idiot so there’ll be nothing new there.”

I glared at Seifer as I fumbled with my stupid bow tie, why did we have to wear these things anyway? Seifer smirked and batted my hands away from the knotted material to tie it himself. “It’s not the end of the world Squall, I’m sure you’ll be fine.”

“I never wanted this job, they should have picked you, and you’d a lot better at it.”

Seifer smiled. “I’m sure you’ll be a very good best man, besides they have known you all their lives and only known me for a few years.”

Ever since I had brought Irvine back into the group we’ve all been great friends. Seifer forgave him and they get on well. I wasn’t surprised to see Irvine flirt with Ellone after all he used to always tease and flirt with the girls at our old school, so I didn’t think anything of it. A few months later they told us they were a couple, they were good together and my sister was happy at last. She was right it did feel nice for us both to have boyfriends at the same time.

One afternoon Seifer and I joined Ellone and Irvine down on the beach for a BBQ and a bit of swimming, no one expected Irvine to propose to Ellone, it was a complete shock.

Today was the big day and I was the best man although Ellone had wanted me to be a bride’s maid. I hadn’t spoken to her for three hours after that until she apologized. She had chosen a girl who she used to speak to at college; I didn’t like her she couldn’t keep her mitts off my Seify. He hated it when I called him that so I made sure to do it as much as possible.

Seifer took a step back from me so I could look in the mirror.

“There, perfect.”

I watched him rest his head on my shoulder in the mirror.

“You’re so sexy.”

I rolled my eyes and stepped away from him. “Don’t. I do want to get to this wedding some time today.”

“Hey guys ready to go?”

I glanced over at Irvine who was pacing back and forth fiddling with his fingers nervously.

“Not gonna chicken out are ya?”

“Of course not, this is normal isn’t it? This nervous I’m-going-to-be-sick feeling?”

“Why are you asking me? I’m not married and probably never will be.”

Seifer shot me a hurt look. “You know what I meant, I meant in a legally binding sort of way.”

Ellone was going from our house with mum and dad so we were at Seifer’s place, his dad was away and only his mum was there, she didn’t mind. I liked her; she made a big fuss when we first met. She walked in when Seifer and I were making out on the couch in the living room. I was all ready to run away screaming but she introduced herself and then backed out the room again, apologizing for disturbing us. She insisted I stayed for dinner and wanted to know everything about me. I liked her better than his dad. I saw the look he gave us at Christmas when Seifer kissed me under some mistletoe. Seifer told me to ignore him, he was just bitter.

Irvine herded us into the taxi, he tapped the door the whole way there, it was annoying but I understood. I was just as nervous and I wasn’t the one getting married.

As the car pulled up Kiros and Ward were there waiting for us with the photographer. They wanted pictures of the groom with the best man. I hated having my photo taken but I didn’t complain.

Once inside Irvine and I made our way up to the front while Seifer let go of my hand and went to sit beside my mother. I felt worse with him not standing beside me. I was so pathetic everyone would be watching Irvine and Ellone, they wouldn’t even notice what I did.

The wedding was perfect, nothing went wrong and Squall’s best man’s speech was brilliant. I watched the couples dance around the hall, Ellone danced with her brother and they both looked happy. I told Squall it would be fine, he cursed Irvine for making him the best man. If I had it my way, he would get the chance to get even, and then we’ll see how great Irvine’s best man’s speech was. The cowboy sat beside me but his eyes hadn’t left his bride all afternoon.

I nudged him. “Hey, do you want your wife back?”

He nodded and followed me up to the dancing couple.

“Mind if we cut in?”

“Yes, go away.” Squall joked, but he didn’t seem to mind when I pulled him away from his sister and into my arms instead.

“Enjoying yourself?”

He leant on me and nodded, closing his eyes while nuzzling into me. He reminded me of a big sleepy kitten.

We were in the town hall in Winhill; the newly wed couple would be leaving soon to go on their honeymoon to Fisherman’s horizon. Knowing Irvine I can’t see them getting out of bed but that’s what honeymoons are for, all the more reason to propose to Squall. When the announcement was put out that main couple were leaving Squall and I made our way to the front to say our goodbyes then become one of the crowd as the bride got ready to throw her bouquet. All the girls especially the young ones pushed through to the front.

I watched in amusement as the flowers sailed over their heads and hit Squall in the chest, he instinctively caught them. Everyone thought it was hilarious, including me.

He quickly threw them away as someone yelled. “Squall’s going to be the next bride!”

He blushed a deep red and disappeared back into the crowd. Oh, he was so going to be the next bride weather he liked it or not.

 

 

THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to Archive | previous | sequel