Disclaimer: All places, characters are not mine, nothing here is mine, everything belongs to Squaresoft.

Meant To Be

Chapter 6

By Purple Penguin

The front door opened swiftly and he dropped his keys on the living room table. His was away on a business trip for the week and his mother had gone to a friends wedding for a few days so he had the house to himself. The stretched his arms high in the air and looked at himself in the mirror.

“What have you done?” He asked himself.

He’d read about people getting caught in love triangles but he never thought that he himself would end up in one. It was all his fault. Where did he ever ask Ellone out in the first place? Sure he liked her but not enough, not like he loved Squall. Not matter how many times he said it was impossible to love someone in a week it didn’t change the way he felt. Squall was more his type than Ellone was. He had never been with a girl before, he thought he was gay until a few years ago but when he started to fancy girls. He knew he had to dump Ellone soon, before he and Squall became more of a couple. Ellone probably wouldn’t be too happy about him and Squall being together even if Seifer was to break up with her properly. So that left he with sneaking around like a criminal to stay together with Squall. But he didn’t want Squall to have to do that; it made it seem like there was something wrong with them loving each other.

Squall hadn’t even come out to his family yet; it would tough on him if they found out through all this. He some times thought it would be easier if he walked away from both of them, but the brunette was everything he had ever wanted and he couldn’t bare to break Squall’s heart and his own.

The next morning Seifer purposely drove past Winhill in the hopes of catching Squall. He smiled when he saw the brunette walking towards him.

“Want a lift?”

Squall opened the passenger side door and jumped in. “Morning.”

Seifer hesitated before he leant over and kissed the brunette lightly in greeting, but as he drew back Squall pulled him back in for a real kiss. The blonde broke the kiss but stopped mere inches from Squall’s face.

“Are we going then?”

Seifer drew back slowly. “Er... yeah.” He started the engine glancing at Squall one more time before he pulled away from the curb.

The brunette smirked.

“Just remember that we’re just friends and no one should suspect a thing.” Seifer told his boyfriend without taking his eyes off the road, so he didn’t see Squall lean over and nuzzle into him teasingly.

“Squall, I’m deadly serious. You’ve got to stop that.”

The brunette pouted. “As soon as we get to school then you’ve got to stop that.” Seifer corrected, reaching a hand up to stroke the other’s hair.

As soon as school came into view Squall sat up in his seat and resumed the roll of Seifer’s best friend.

“Hey guys.”

Kurt sat on the wall outside school.

“Are you waiting for Zell?” Seifer asked.

“Yeah, how’d you guess?”

Squall rolled his eyes. “You two are joined at the hip.”

“Speak for yourselves.”

Seifer and Squall glanced at each other, knowing what Kurt meant.

“Er... well I’ve got to go; I’ll see you guys later.” Seifer walked off into the main building leaving Squall with Kurt. Maybe he should keep his distance from Squall for the day, although that might seem more suspicious if they suddenly stopped hanging out. Not only did Seifer love Squall, he wanted him too. Kurt and Zell knew how he felt about Squall hopefully no one else would notice. How was he going to act like the brunette was nothing more than a friend? To go the whole day without kissing him, well maybe a few sneaky kisses were possible if they were careful. He sighed and run a hand through his hair, it would be a long day and he already had a headache just thinking about it.

Squall watched the blonde until he had completely disappeared from sight, then he turned back to see Kurt staring at him with an amused smirk.

“What?” He asked, confused.

“You have it bad.”

Squall’s eyes went wide. “What? I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Yeah right. You don’t have to hide it from me; I know how you feel about Seifer.”

“You do.”

“You’re not the world’s best stealth Squall; I can see the way you look at him. Do you love him?”

The brunette nodded.

Kurt gave him a serious look. “Are you sure you now what you’re doing?”

“What do you mean?”

“He’s dating you’re sister! Anything you do to act on your feelings will end badly.”

“What if he feels the same way?”

“If you two do date then Seifer will have to dump your sister, which will hurt her and when she finds out about you two she’ll feel betrayed, do you want that to happen?”

“No course not, but... but...”

“If Seifer does love you do you think he’d risk ruining your relationship with your sister? Will he risk you getting hurt in the process?”

“I....” Squall looked down at the ground disappointed. Kurt was right. When Seifer did break up with Ellone it was likely that he too would be dumped, the blonde would probably make a clean break to avoid hurting anyone.

Kurt placed a hand on his shoulder. “I don’t mean to be cruel I’m just telling you the truth.”

“I know.”

“You’re my friend and I don’t want to see you get hurt, either does Zell.”

“Hi guys.” Zell grinned at his friends but when he saw Squall’s expression, his grin faltered. “Uh oh, what happened?”

“Nothing.” The brunette waved it off with a hand. He looked at his watch. “Time to go.”

By the end of his first class Squall had reached a conclusion. He never wanted to lose Seifer, but didn’t want to hurt anyone. If Seifer decided to break up with them both to share everyone’s feelings then he would go along with it. It would break his heart but it was better than hurting his parents, his sister and Seifer when Ellone found out about them. It was time to stop being childish and to put other people’s feelings before his own for a change.

He had a free period next so he would sit on the grass and do some brooding. Squall on his way to his locker to offload some books when a hand grabbed him and pulled him into the guys shower room. He struggled and fought as he was pulled backwards, until a familiar voice whispered to him.

“Have you got a class next?” Squall pulled away glancing round the shower rooms and the changing area, looking for people.

“Seifer? What are you doing?”

The blonde ignored the question and pulled him in for a kiss. “Kissing you, what do you think I’m doing?”

“What happened to being serious about being friends in front of people?”

“I am serious. This is just a little minor indulgence.”

The brunette smiled despite himself and let himself be kissed. After he had to enjoy Seifer while he still had him.

Return to Archive | next | previous