Love Bug

Chapter 11

By Purple Penguin

“So how’s the planning going?”

The petite girl bounced at my feet. “Oh it’s sooo exciting! 6 days! That’s all that’s left after my dance.”

“Have you invited someone?”

She scoffed. “I’ll be way to busy for that! What about you?”

I winced at the question. Selphie was my best friend yet she was the only one that didn’t know about Nida. I heard the warning Squall has send me but did Selphie really like me that way? I didn’t want to hurt her feelings.

“I’m surprised you haven’t been flooded with offers.”

I grinned. “Well I do have someone in mind but I haven’t asked them yet.”

“Really? Why not? Who is she?”

“Just someone....”

“Do I know her?”

“...Yeah you know them.”

She frowned and cocked her head at me.

“What?”

She shook her head and smiled. “Nothing. Go on; go ask this person to the dance.”

I walked backwards out of the ballroom and waved goodbye.

I sighed and watched him go until I couldn’t see him anymore. I had sort of liked the guy but I guess that threw of my chances out the window. Was he gay or Bi? I hoped for gay, that I way I knew I‘d never have a chance in hell. Why didn’t he tell me he liked a guy? Who was he? He could have been more subtle, when a guy used words like ‘them’ and ‘this person’ in stead of ‘she’ and ‘her’ it’s a guy. Something I picked up one day from hanging out with Zell too much.

At least it’s a guy and not a girl he likes, now I can’t think what’s she got that I haven’t? It’s pretty obvious what he’s got that I haven’t.

Who is it? I grinned. Operation Secret Selphie starts again. I’m an excellent detective, I’ll find out who Irvine’s into.

I walked out of the ballroom and checked my watch.

Shit! I was late for my lesson and we were having a test on our monsters today. I ran up to the classroom and walked in, interrupting Quistis. I was so glad the instructor was also one of my friends, it makes detention more fun.

“Where have you been?”

I panted for breath. “S-Sorry instructor, I-I-er- would you believe I got lost?”

She frowned. “Just sit down Irvine.”

The tests were already on the screens and I scanned through the questions while Quistis explained rules that I already knew.

“Class you have one hour. You may begin.”

Hmmm, question 1. What are the mating seasons for your animal? All year round like us. I wondered briefly if Behemoths also had different sexualities. Would daddy behemoth run off with his mate’s brother? I shook my head to clear away the silly thoughts and concreted on the test.

34 questions later and I hit the one button. The computer scanned over my answers and gave me my results.

“YES!!” I clamped a hand over my mouth. Everyone was staring at me and Quistis was sniggering quietly into her hand.

“Sorry.” I said and tried to be happy quietly. 31 out of 35! I had to tell Nida. I sat there at the edge of my desk, desperate to get out. Quisty looked at me and I mouthed the words. ‘Please let me leave’ at her. She smiled.

“Everyone who has finished their test may leave.”

I jumped up from the desk and ran out the door, the others laughed at me as I went.

I walked quietly up to the bridge and put a hand over his eyes.

“Guess who?”

“What are you doing up here?”

“Nope wrong answer.” I stepped round the front of him and looked around. “Wow, been a while since I was last up here.”

“Why are you-”

I cut him off, shoving the piece of paper with my results on it at him and wrapped my arms around his waist playfully.

He read my results and stared at me. “Wow, that’s fantastic.”

“I know.” I leaned in, my lips hovering over his. “Help me celebrate?”

He laughed and wrapped a free arm around my neck. I kissed him softly, grinning again his lips.

“He shouldn’t be up here, maybe you should go.”

“Trying to get rid of me?”

He slapped the results into my chest. “Go tell everyone your results.”

I grinned slowly as I remembered something.

“What?” He asked, worry in his voice.

“I can do that from up here.” I headed over to the intercom.

You wouldn’t would you?”

I pressed the button so that I was live to the whole garden.

“Hey everyone, Just to let you know that me, Irvine Kinneas the master of everything has got 31 of out 35 in the monster test today. That’s all bye bye. Oh and by the way to Carrie in the library, how is the pregnancy going? Have you told anyone yet? Oh sorry, me and my big mouth. Bye!” I hit the button to turn it off.

“I can’t believe you just did that!”

“That’ll teach that bitch not to mess with my friends.” I grinned at Nida. “And you know what the best part is?”

“What?”

“She’s not even pregnant, I made it up.”

He started to laugh.

I walked up to him and poked him in the chest. “Oh I wanted to ask you something.”

“Yeah?”

“You know Selphie’s dance in a week? Well, will you go with me?”

“What about Selphie?”

“Don’t worry I’ll tell her something. So will you?”

He smiled. “Okay.”

“Really?”

He nodded and I grinned, pulling him close to kiss him again.

I was so on a roll.

I sat in the library revising for my test tomorrow. Maybe I should ask Irvine he had his today, but I got the feeling he didn’t like me much. Nida was already turning people against me.

I looked up as the intercom sounded and Irvine’s voice floated over the airways. I smirked and turned around to see a girl at the desk shriek in horror.

“I didn’t know you were pregnant.”

“I’m not.”

“Now Carrie you can tell us, we’re your friends.”

“I AM NOT-” She fumed and ran out of the library. “I’m going to kill him!”

I smiled. I would so not want to be Irvine right now.

Return to Archive | next | previous