Disclaimer: Squaresoft owns all the characters. I don’t own anything.

Just best friends

Chapter 7

By Purple Penguin

Kurt looked up in amazement. Balamb Garden was so beautiful and so huge. He couldn’t believe Squall was in charge of this place.

“Are you going to stand there and stare all day?” Seifer asked. The couple were way ahead of him walking towards Garden. Kurt hurried to catch up with them. He looked like a little kid constantly glancing around.

“Wow.” The main halls were equally as stunning there was so much water. Beautiful fish fountains squirted water from their mouths and all around them water flowed.

Squall walked up to a notice board.

“The party starts in 2hrs in the quad.” He pointed to a corridor with a pink floor. “You think you could find a costume by then?”

“Yeah sure, but where is everyone?” He looked at the near empty hallways. He thought there would have been lots of people rushing around in a place like this.

Seifer chuckled. “Selphie’s probably got them all following her orders, the quad’s probably over flowing with people.”

Squall started to walk towards the quad. “Come on,” He gestured to Kurt. “There’s some people I want you to meet.”

The quad was decorated with streamers and pictures of the characters from (FF7) the Legend of Sephiroth. Seifer was right there was loads of people around most of them scurrying about with decorations in their arms.

“SQUALL! SEIFER!”

They turned as a short blonde guy launched himself at Squall, sending them both to the ground in a tangle of limbs. Seifer burst out laughing as Squall lay there stiffly, the blonde still clinging to him.

“Help! Get him off me!”

Kurt smiled as Seifer dragged the short, bouncy blonde to his feet. Zell instantly turned round and clung to Seifer like a limpet. Seifer froze not being sure what to do.

He mouthed ‘Help’ at Kurt.

The red-head reluctantly pulled the blonde off Seifer hoping he wouldn’t be next.

Zell spun round to see someone he didn’t know. He was shorter than himself with red hair. Zell thought he was quite cute. He stuck out his hand to the red-head.

“Hi, Zell Dincht.”

The red-head smiled and shook his hand.

“Kurt Forbes.”

Seifer helped Squall to his feet. “We must go get ready for the party now.” Seifer replied wanting to escape the madness.

“Wait! What about me?” Kurt called after the retreating couple.

He sighed turning back to see that Zell was still around.

“Don’t you have a dorm yet?”

“No and they were supposed to show me something I can wear for the party tonight.”

Zell looked surprised. “You don’t have a costume yet?”

He shook his head. “I don’t know the film let alone the characters.”

Zell looked thoughtful. “I have the film on DVD, the characters are on the back of the box. I’ll show you if you like?”

“Okay thanks but, I will have to find Squall eventually.”

“Right. Well come on I’ll show you around.”

Kurt’s eyes widened in amazement at the indoor jungle known as the training centre. He looked up suddenly at a t-rexaur roar, unconsciously he backed up towards the exit. He didn’t realize he was doing it until he backed into Zell who laughed at him.

“They don’t come this close to the entrance and even if they did it wouldn’t matter, They’re easy to kill.”

Kurt wasn’t sure if he believed Zell or not. He thought either Zell was showing off or trying to make him feel safer.

“All this walking is making me hungry. How about I show you the cafeteria?”

Kurt grinned. “Sounds good to me.” He could really do with a hotdog right now although he doubted they had them here.

Zell talked non-stop on the way to the cafeteria. Zell bounced up to the food counter and Kurt gladly followed.

“Hello Zell.” The lady at the counter greeted. “Yes, we have hotdogs for the party, but I think Selphie can spare a few.”

That got Kurt’s attention. “Hotdogs? You’ve got hotdogs?!”

“Yes, why?”

“I love hotdogs!” The redhead yelled.

Both guys bounced at the counter grinning widely.

The lunch lady smiled. “Oh no, two Zells.”

They took their lunch over to a free table and for a while Zell was quiet while he munched down his hotdogs.

“Do they have hotdogs in F.H?”

“Yeah, but not as good as here.”

Zell grinned. “I’ve never found a place with better hotdogs than here.”

“I’ll have to visit more often then.”

“How long are you staying for?”

"I was just here for the party but as it’s Friday, Seifer persuaded me to stay for the weekend and leave on Monday.”

“Great.” The blonde smiled. “We should find you a costume now right?”

“Okay.”

Kurt glanced around at the pale blue room. There were martial arts posters and one moral combat poster on the living room walls. He had been expecting a small room like you would have in the army, not a huge dorm with kitchen, bathroom, living room and bedroom.

“I like your posters.”

“Thanks.”

The hyper blonde bounced back to Kurt the DVD box in his hands.

“Here look at this and pick a character.”

Kurt took the box and frowned. None of these people looked a thing like him...or Zell. He suddenly wondered whom Zell was going as.

“Who are you going as?”

“Cloud.” He pointed to a guy with blonde, spiky hair and a big sword.

“But you haven’t got enough hair.”

Zell chuckled. “You take it so seriously. It’s only a party; you don’t have to be the splitting image of you character.”

The redhead sighed and looked at the box. “Who’s that guy? He looks like your guy only with black hair.”

“That’s Zack. You could go as him, but you’ll have to dye your hair black.”

“Hmm. What are you wearing?”

“An old pair of PJs.”

“Pyjamas?!”

“Yeah. They’re purple, what's wrong with that?”

The redhead didn’t answer. He sat on the sofa still holding the box.

“What shall I wear? And I’m NOT wearing Pyjamas.”

Zell smiled. “Zack isn’t in the film much so you could probably get away with some black jeans and a purple top. I think.”

“I have to find Squall now.”

“Party starts in half an hour; he’ll be there you can ask him then.”

“Can I change here?”

“Sure.”

Kurt moved to his duffel bag and pulled out a pair of black jeans and a purple-ish top.

“Do you know a place where I can get some hair dye?”

“There’s a guy in the Training Centre who always has stuff to sell.”

Kurt hesitated. “Training Centre? I have to go to the place with all the dinosaurs?”

The blonde chuckled. “Do you want me to come with you?”

He nodded.

Zell laughed not being able to resist teasing him.

“Aww. Are you afraid of the big, bad monsters?”

“Shut up.”

“Do you need a babysitter?”

Kurt glared playfully at him. “Are you coming or not?”

“Wow. You did a good job, Selphie. I’m actually impressed.”

“Really? Thanks, Seif.”

The short brunette skipped on the spot in front of him. She was back in Selphie made again. She looked past Seifer at someone else.

“Hey, Squall, I’m surprised you can walk.”

The blonde laughed as he turned to see a blushing Squall.

“Hey, Selphie," he muttered. Squall glanced around the quad looking at all the people.

“Selphie, have you seen a short guy with red hair?”

“Nope, why?”

“Remember when I said we were bringing a friend from F.H? Well we’ve lost him.”

“Lost him?! Poor guy how did you manage that?”

“We ran away from Zell and he got left behind.”

She sighed. “I hope we guys never get a pet if you’re that careless. So you left him with Zell?”

“Yeah.”

“And he’s gay?”

“Yeah.” Seifer studies his shoes as if they were the most fascinating things in the world.

Selphie’s eyes narrowed. “You weren’t playing matchmaker were you?”

“Maybe.”

“Well I’m single, why don’t you help me?”

Seifer smirked. “One project at a time. When I see someone good I’ll let you know.”

“Figures. So how about I help you find-” She trailed off as she saw Seifer clearly wasn’t paying attention. He had an amused expression on his face.

“Aww chicken wuss’ in his pyjamas. Are you ready for bed?”

“Shut up, Seifer, this is my costume! You look the same why aren’t you in character?”

The blonde smirked. “Oh, I am. Notice I’ve covered up the red crosses on my shelves. I’m Rufus. Tall, blonde hair, white coat...”

“You cheated.” His line of vision then fell on the brunette who stood behind Seifer.

“Squall, love the suit and you dyed your hair I’m impressed.”

Squall nodded at him. “Zell... What can I say I’m speechless.” He said as he looked over Zell’s costume.

“You haven’t by any chance seen a short redhead have you?”

Zell grinned. “I have. He’s here but he’s in hiding after what I did to his hair.”

“Which was?”

“He was gonna dye it black for Zack but..... well...I swear I thought it was black. Honest.”

“Uh oh what DID you do Zell?” Seifer grinned knowing he would probably get a laugh out of this.

Zell walked over to a thick pillar and dragged out a short guy with bright green hair.

Seifer and Squall were in hysterics and Selphie giggled slightly.

“Poor guy. You should have warned him about Zell.”

“This is all your fault!” Kurt crossed his arms glaring at Zell.

“I said I was sorry. I’ll buy you a hotdog everyday until you leave if you forgive me.” Zell did the puppy dog look.

The green haired man’s anger faltered. He was tempted. “You promise?”

“Cross my heart.”

“Deal. I forgive you.”

Selphie frowned slightly. “”You like hotdogs too?”

Seifer grinned at her. “That’s another thing we didn’t tell you. You know how we all thought Zell was the only one in the whole world with this weird obsession. Well it turns out Kurt is also a hotdog loving freak.”

“FREAK?!” They both yelled in unison.

“Uh oh, I think we upset them.”

“What is wrong with hotdogs?!”

“And that’s my cue to leave. Squall, dance with me?”

The brunette grinned and nodded.

As the couple headed out to the dance floor Selphie quietly skipped away leaving Kurt alone with Zell again.

“Why does everyone run away from me? Do I smell or something?” Kurt asked no one in particular.

“Can’t see anything wrong with you from where I’m standing.” Zell quietly muttered.

“Huh?”

“Nothing.”

Kurt frowned not sure if he’d heard that correctly. He shrugged it off. “Want to dance?” He asked Zell.

The blonde looked shocked but agreed.

Seifer grinned as he watched Zell and Kurt move out on to the dance floor. He nudged Squall who was leaning on him.

“Hey, look who’s dancing.”

Squall raised his eyebrows. “And to a slow dance.”

Seifer smirked. “I told you they’d be perfect for each.”

“You shouldn’t force them to be together or else they’ll end up like a certain other couple who were forced together by their friends when they really weren’t meant to be.”

“Nah, they are nothing like you and Rinoa. For a start you’re gay, so it could never happen. Anyway I have another great idea about them.”

“What is it?”

“If we avoid Kurt for the evening then he won’t have a dorm, so he’ll have to turn to the one person he knows.”

The brunette shook his head. “You’re so cruel.”

“But that’s why you love me right?”

Squall smiled and stood up on his toes to kiss his lover.

The whole room stopped moving and for a second everyone just stared, then in unison they all clapped, cheered and there was a chorus of ‘It’s about time’ and ‘I knew it’.

Squall pulled Seifer’s trench coat over his head to hide his embarrassment. The blonde blushed slightly, but smiled. He pulled the shy brunette up to his own height and kissed him passionately. The crowd cheered louder.

Zell grinned at the happy couple. He had joined in the clapping even though he’d known about them before.

Kurt looked puzzled. “I didn’t know they were a new item.”

“How could you not, they’re all over each other.”

“That doesn’t necessary mean they’re new....”

The blonde looked at Kurt and grinned. “I didn’t know you were the romantic type.”

Kurt blushed.

*ATTENTION PLEASE!* Selphie stood on a table with a megaphone.

*I WANT YOU ALL TO KNOW THAT HOTDOGS ARE NOW AVAILABLE!*

No one seemed interested except for two short guys who sprinted over pushing everyone else out of the way in the process.

The party went on later and later.

Kurt, without noticing it had spent the entire time with Zell. At the last minute as everyone was leaving he realized he was still dormless and there was no sight of Squall or Seifer.

“Problem?”

He turned to see that Zell for some reason hadn’t left yet either.

“I have no where to stay.”

“If you don’t mind sleeping on a sofa, you can stay with me. It’ll make us even for what I did to your hair.”

“Okay thanks.”

The blonde smiled. “Come on.”

tbc.

End of chapter 7.

NOTES: I’m trying to make everyone happy but I don’t know who to put Selphie with. Any suggestions?

Return to Archive | next | previous