Forever

Chapter 5

By Purple Penguin

“Kid’s portion of fries and nuggets!” Quistis called through from the front counter.

Squall made a face. “Why did we start having kids in this place?”

Selphie, his friend and co-worker patted him on the shoulder. “Now now that’s not the attitude a be soon-to-be uncle should have.”

“I just hate frying up fries, I go home smelling of grease and Seifer runs a mile.”

His friend chuckled. “Aww, so you can’t have sex as soon as you step through the door like usual.”

The brunette blushed. “Shut up.” He hissed, emptying some fries into the fryer.

His friend turned serious. “I heard what happened, how’s he’s doing?”

“Okay, I think. He doesn’t really know what to do with himself, I’ll be glad when he goes back to work on Monday.” Squall turned and smirked teasingly at the brunette girl. “Has Zack proposed yet?”

She snorted. “Yeah, like that’s going to happen. Can you imagine? Me getting married?”

“Don’t you want to play the good little wifey?”

She shook her head. “I’m only 23 Squall; I’m not ready to settle down unlike you.” She looked at him. “I can just see you walking down the aisle in a wedding dress.”

The brunette frowned. “Funny. Like I haven’t heard that a million times.” He emptied out the fries and Selphie handed him a plate.

The brunette girl then wandered out to the front counter. It was Friday lunchtime, they were never very busy at lunchtime, it was the evenings when they were rushed off their feet. There were only a few people sitting here and there. Squall came out and handed the plate to Quistis who went off to play waitress. Selphie sat on the back counter swinging her legs like a child.

She looked up when the door opened and she froze, her eyes going wide, her mouth falling open. She kept her eyes fixed on the man that came in, she tapped Squall on the shoulder not looking at him, when he didn’t respond quick enough she hit him harder.

“Ow! Selphie, what the hall are you-?”

She pointed to the man, Squall frowned and turned to see what was so interesting. His mouth fell open but he snapped it shut again in case he was caught drooling. The tall man, not as tall as Seifer, Squall noticed had long fluffy blonde hair and stunningly bright blue eyes. He only wore a white vest that clung to his muscled torso.

The guy reached the counter and smiled politely at the pair.

Squall shook his head realizing the man had actually said his order but he hadn’t heard him.

“I’m sorry, what was that?”

The blonde repeated his order and Squall nudged Selphie. “Why don’t you go take care of that?”

The girl frowned. “No.” She whispered. “I saw him first he’s mine!”

“He’s probably gay anyway.”

“How d you know?”

Quistis shook her head. “Why don’t you both go?”

The pair both pouted but they did as they were told. The blonde woman followed them behind the counter. “What is the matter with you two?!”

“Did you see that guy?!” Selphie asked. “God, I wish I was single.”

Squall shook his head. “Poor Zack.”

“You liked him too.” Selphie accused.

“Yeah, but Seifer’s better.”

Selphie made a face then looked at Quistis. “What did you think?”

“He’s alright.”

“That’s it, only alright? Can I serve him then?”

“No, I’ll do it.” Squall said.

“But you just said-”

“I know but that doesn’t mean I can’t look does it?” He took the plate off the bewildered Selphie and headed for the guy’s table. Selphie ran out and hovered around the front counter spying on them. Squall was wrong, there was no way that guy was gay. She fixed her eyes on them, watching as Squall set the plate in front of the blonde, her eyes widened when he didn’t come back straight away, he stopped to talk to the other man. She couldn’t hear what was going on, she glanced back to see if Quistis was around, seeing the blonde’s back was turned she quickly ran over to Squall.

“Hi.” She watched at the blonde guy.

He smiled at her.

“Excuse us.” Selphie grabbed the brunette and dragged him back to the counter.

“So? What happened?” She asked once they were out of earshot. “Did you flirt with him?”

“Maybe a little.” Squall smirked and handed out a piece of folded paper.

The girl gaped. “He gave you his number!?”

“I told you he was gay!”

“That is so not fair, I saw him first and its not like you’re going to ring him are you?”

The brunette shrugged and moved to tear it up but Selphie snatched it away. “I’ll have it.”

Squall looked amused. “Selphie, he’s gay and you’re not single.”

“But I’m not married either and he could be Bi.”

Squall shook his head.

The next hour was really quiet was Quistis let him go home early, as he didn’t have an evening shift Squall went home.

He opened the front door noticing that the TV was off. “Seifer?”

Silence.

The brunette threw his bag down into the corner of the room, stretching his arms towards the sky and yawned. He headed into the kitchen fishing a can of beer out of the fridge taking a swig just as he heard the front door open. Squall stuck his head out off the kitchen; Seifer hung his coat on the hook and walked into the living room, not noticing that Squall was there. The blonde had his back to the kitchen, he was studying something but from his position Squall couldn’t see what it was, he carefully creep up on the blonde, but a creaking floor board gave him away.

His lover whipped round and at the same time stuffing whatever it was into his pocket.

“You’re home early aren’t you?”

Squall chuckled. “Nice to see you too.” His hand crept closer and closer to Seifer’s pocket, which the blonde blocked off and grabbed the sneaky hand.

“What you got in your pocket?”

“Nothing.” He leaned into kiss his lover but Squall pulled back.

“Ellone called me, asked if we wanted to go see a movie with her and Irvine.”

“And you said yes?”

“Yeah, why? That okay with you?”

“I thought we could stay in, I’ll cook you dinner.”

Squall raised an eyebrow. “You’ll cook me dinner? Are you feeling alright?”

The blonde smiled. “I thought you’d be grateful, you’ve been to work and I haven’t so-” He trailed off and wrapped his arms around the brunette’s waist.

Squall looked at his lover suspiciously but he gave in. “I think they can watch a movie on their own.”

His lover grinned and gave Squall a quick kiss before pulling away to make dinner.

“Right...” He stood and paused in the kitchen. “What do we eat then?”

Squall leant in the doorway. “What can you make? Beside bangers and mash.”

The blonde frowned. “I’m not that bad, you know?”

“Sure you don’t want a hand?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

Squall nodded and left Seifer to cook.

Half an hour and some burnt food later.

Squall sniggered in the doorway.

“It’s not funny; I did what it said on the packet.”

Squall picked up the label from the meat. “This says the time from frozen, was the meat frozen?”

Seifer make a face and sulked in the corner. “No.” He muttered.

Squall reached for the phone. “Pizza again then?” Squall spoke the pizza guy while his other arm wrapped around his lover’s neck.

When he’d finished ordering he placed a few kisses along the blonde’s jaw line. “What the matter? You don’t usually mind this much.”

“Just not what I imagined.”

The brunette frowned. “What’s that mean?”

“Nothing.” Seifer pulled away and disappeared into the living room.

Squall followed him. “You’re been acting strange all day, what’s going on?”

“Are you sure you don’t want to want for the pizza?”

Squall folded his arms. “I want to know now.”

The blonde frowned but nodded. “Sit down.” He paced for a bit in front of his lover. “Okay... um... This went a lot better in my head.”

Seifer walked up to the confused brunette and dropped to one knee on the carpet.

The brunette’s eyes widened. That wasn’t what he expected, he had thought it would be something bad from the way his lover looked so panicky. He smiled watching Seifer fish around in his pocket.

“Where’d I put that thing?”

Squall pointed to his right pocket and Seifer pulled out a little red box. He opened it revealed a pair of simple gold band with something engraved on the top. Squall was too far away to read it.

The brunette pulled his eyes away from them to look into his lover’s eyes.

“Squall, will you marry me?”

The brunette grinned, grabbing Seifer and kissing him.

“Is that a yes?”

Squall nodded. “Yes.”

The couple kissed, Squall held onto Seifer with a dead grip but then the doorbell rang interrupting them.

“Pizza’s here.”

Seifer removed the rings from the box giving Squall time to read the word engraved in the gold. It simply read: ‘Forever.’

Return to Archive | next | previous