You Don't Know

Chapter 7

By Purple Penguin

The screen still showed static, the loud buzz echoed, it was laughing at me I was sure of it.

I’d sat down to watch the video that Selphie had lent me to say sorry for yelling at Seifer. When I told her that we weren’t really a couple she apologized instantly and she looked really guilty.

As soon as I put the video in the TV broke, after ages of fiddling with wires it still did nothing. I gritted my teeth in anger and threw the remote at the wall. It made an unhealthy cracking noise and the batteries fell out.

“Who’s laughing now? Huh?” I said to the TV.

“Zell?”

I spun round to face the door in shock I walked over and opened it. “Seifer what are you doing here?”

“Are you okay?” He stepped inside.

“Um... yeah... of course. Why?”

“I heard something breaking.”

I blushed. “Oh....” I didn’t want him to know I’d lost my temper over something so stupid. “That was...er... that was nothing.”

He walked into the living room and saw the remote remains lying on the floor. He raised an eyebrow looking amused.

“Well.... It was his fault!” I pointed at the TV. I was sure he thought I was a complete idiot now.

“So you thought you’d get revenge by throwing the remote at the wall?”

I stared at the feet, shifting my feet. “I...er....D-Do you want a drink?” I backed into the kitchen before he could answer.

I waited until he had left the room before I chuckled. He didn’t have to be embarrassed. I thought it was cute, just another thing to add to the list of cute things Zell did. It amazed me how I had started to think differently, he was adorable and I didn’t know why I hadn’t seen it earlier. I looked at the static and twisted a few cables in the back. The screen cleared and the picture appeared.

I smiled at the movie he was watching, the little mermaid.

“Hey, what do you want to-” He stared in shock at the TV. “How-? How did you-?”

I shrugged. Some of the cables weren’t in far enough.”

He walked up to the TV and instantly the screen switched to static. I had to laugh at the look on his face.

He scowled at the screen and then at me for laughing. “This isn’t funny, that thing hates me.”

“Zell it’s a TV, it can’t hate you.”

He sighed. “What am I going to do now?”

I picked up the video box and smirked at him.

“It’s not mine!”

“Yeah right.”

“It’s Selphie’s, she lent it to me because she was guilty about... something and it would be rude to say no to her.” He nodded, satisfied with his answer.

“But you don’t have to watch it.”

He opened his mouth but shut it again. “Oh shut up! I can’t watch it anyways now.”

“....You can watch it.... in my dorm if you want.”

He looked surprised but then he smirked. “I bet you really do want to watch it but you don’t want to admit it.”

I grinned and sighed. “Yeah, you found out my secret... I’m a Disney fanatic.”

He laughed.

“I remember watching this thing in the Orphanage with Matron.” I mused as we walked to my dorm.

He frowned. “I don’t remember that.”

“It was winter and there was snow on the ground, Matron had trouble getting us to come in and stop having snowball fights, so she put on the little mermaid to encourage us back in.”

I let us in and Zell went straight to the TV, putting in his video.

“Was I there?”

“I dunno. I thought you were but maybe you had already left.”

He pressed play and sat back on the sofa, shivering. Why is your dorm so cold?”

“I just got in remember. Do you want a drink?”

He shook his head so I sat beside him on the couch. He had pulled his legs up beside him and was curled up in the blanket that usually hung on the back.

“See? You do wan to watch it?” He smiled.

I just wanted to be close to him, I liked to be near him. But I wasn’t about to tell Zell that.

“Nothing else to do.”

“Whatever you say.”

I smiled. “I remember the end of this movie, that’s when-”

“ACK! No! I haven’t seen it yet!” He clamped his hands over his ears.

I tried to pry his hands away from his ears. “There’s a part where-”

He wriggled away from me desperately. “Ass-hole.”

I fell silent and he thought I’d stopped. I waited until his hands were off his ears then I took my chance, I grabbed his wrists and pinned him to the sofa, climbing up to straddle his waist.

“At the end-”

“I’M NOT LISTENING!” He yelled and started to sing loudly, trying to drown me out.

“LALALALALALALALALA!!”

I let go of his wrists and resorted to plan B. I prodded him in the ribs and stomach. He shrieked and waved his arms around franticly. He wriggled and wriggled until he fell off the sofa with a thud. I laughed my head off. He glared at me and stormed off to the kitchen. I think I upset him.

“Zell.” I followed him out to the kitchen.

He poured himself a glass of orange juice and drank it with his back turned it me.

I tugged on his hair causing him to spin round and glare at me. “You’re missing your movie. I promise I won’t try to tell you the end again.”

He frowned. “You sure?”

I smiled and loosely put my arms around his waist in what I hoped was just a friendly gesture. He looked surprised and there was something in his eyes that I could identify and I wondered about what Selphie said. Was that what I was seeing? Love? I’ve never been in love and I’ve never had someone to love me so I didn’t know what I was looking for.

Zell narrowed his eyes in confusion after I’d stared at him for ages.

“Seifer, are you okay?”

I snapped out of my trance. “Hmmm?”

“You were looking at me funny.”

“Oh sorry. Don’t you want to see the end of your movie?” I held out a hand to him and after a moment of hesitation he took it.

I led him back to the sofa, I was pleased when he lay his head on my shoulder. He glanced up at me quickly like I’d be disgusted or I’d push him off but I just smiled reassuringly. He curled up beside me for the rest of the movie and by the end of it he was asleep. I put him in my bed, I hope he wouldn’t mind when he woke up. I gave him a quick kiss on the forehead and then a gentle kiss on the lips. Our passionate kiss we shared a few days ago still burned in my memory; I longed to kiss him like that again. Hopefully I’d get to soon.

Return to Archive | next | previous