Author's Note: This is an AU Squall x Seifer story, taking place during childhood in ol' America... from seven years old, to thirteen years old, and then to eighteen, if you don't want to do the math... Buncha dialogue and repetetive lines, but it's so much more intense that way... at least, I think so. Enjoy, and Alix wrote something other than Harry Potter again! Aren'tcha proud of me?

Something Unreadable

By Alix Vitesse

Ever since I was little, I've always wanted to turn back time. To take back words I didn't mean to say and to take back things I didn't mean to do. And when I look back on the times I've wanted to take back most of all, I figure that....

Thirteen years ago, I couldn't say it...

"Hi, Squall."

"Go away, Seifer."

"Why?"

"I don't like people."

"But I'm not people Squall. I'm your friend!"

"Are not."

"I want to be..."

"I don't want any friends."

"Why are you so mean, Squall? Why don't you want to be my friend? I like you, Squall. Why won't you be my friend?"

"..."

"Why won't you talk to me? Please, Squall, talk to me? Squall?"

"...Whatever."

"You're mean Squall. I'm going to tell everybody. I don't like you."

He turned to me then, something unreadable in his eyes, stood up, and ranaway.

"I'M SORRY, SQUALL! I DIDN'T MEAN IT! PLEASE COME BACK!"

Seven years ago, I couldn't say it...

"Thanks for the game, guys! Later!"

"..."

"Oh, hey, Squall. Sorry for making you wait, I didn't think the game would last that long... thanks for waiting."

"...Whatever."

"Is there something wrong with you? You seem quieter today. Not that it's any different from every day, you just seem... I dunno..."

"..."

"Can you say something other than nothing, Squall? You're freaking me out."

"Hurry the fuck up."

"Squall, lighten up, man. You don't have to be such a prick all of the time."

"..."

"There you go again, with your fucking silent treatment. If I... If you... If we didn't live in the same house, I would have kicked your sorry, girly ass a long time ago!"

He turned to me then, something unreadable in his eyes, stood up, and ran away.

"Squall, wait! I'm sorry! I didn't mean it, any of it! Squall, please come back!"

Two years ago, I couldn't say it...

"Why's that queer over there on the bench always following you, Seifer?"

"He lives with me, no big deal."

"If it wasn't for the fact that he's a guy, I would have thought he was your tagalong girlfriend or something."

"Hey, man, he's not so bad..."

"Seifer, man, you getting soft?"

"I mean, he's not so bad... you know, if you like faggot shit like him!"

"Ha! Good one!"

He turned to me then, something unreadable in his eyes, stood up, and ran away.

Squall... don't run away... please, come back... Squall, I... I...

...That even now, I can't read you, Squall. I couldn't, even when I looked into your eyes. And when I tried to, you always pushed me away. And I never stopped you. You didn't like me at all, so I didn't do anything... as much as I wanted to. I guess I just didn't want enough.

But I figured, even though I have the strength to run after you and tell you. Kiss you after, and love your forever... that even now... you'd run away from me still.

Is it worth becoming a WiP? I was thinking whether or not to write it from Squall's POV, but I guess I will... unless you think it's better to leave it this way. Tragedic. It could always end happy...

Return to Archive | sequel