Disclaimers: I wish I owned the characters and songs I will use but alas I don’t so I’m poor.

Warnings: maybe AUish, shounen-ai, yaoi, so if you don’t like that stuff, leave now! Squall+Seifer, SelphiexIrvine, dancing/grinding, and LOUD MUSIC!!! In this part there’s some violence and a bunch of swearing so I guess its rated R.

Notes: The first song is part of the background. The second and third are for songfic purposes

 

You want any notes? They change with postings, so go back and read the rest!! ^_^

 

<blah> - lyrics

~~~ - slight change of POV or characters (if any)

****** - flashback (if any)

~*~*~ - scene/time/day change (if any)

Fifth Avenue

Part 9 - Dangerous Partners

By Elise Maxwell

“Did you figure it out?” Quistis asked Seifer before she sipped on her coke. The two had gone out shopping and were chowing down at the mall food court.

“Nope.” The blond shook his head and took a bite of his burger. He chewed with a thoughtful look in his eyes. “You see,” he swallowed, “I never got to ask him. After I comforted him, he said he was tired and went to bed. And the next day he acted normal.” Seifer shook his head. “I have no idea what’s going on.”

Quistis thought on this for a moment.

“What?” Seifer squinted at her. “You look like you know something and you’re trying to figure it out.”

She smiled. “Rinoa told me…” she paused to see Seifer’s head whip up from his burger in reaction, “…about you.”

“What exactly did she tell you about me? Since I want this for future reference when I strangle her pretty little neck!”

“It is little isn’t it? I’m slightly jealous about the fact that she can wear smaller necklaces.” Quistis giggled at the peeved look on the blond’s face.

“Cut to the chase Shakira.”

“I hear that you have a thing for a gorgeous young brunette you live with. And Rinoa’s not brunette, her hair is crow black.”

“Is that all? Geez, I thought it was something really important.” Seifer crossed his arms and frowned.

Quistis nibbled on some fries. “I didn’t tell her this, but I suspect he thinks highly of you too.”

“Wait a minute, are we talking about Squall or his father?”

Quistis’s eye twitched and she threw some fries at her counterpart. “Stop goofing around. He’s probably having a hard time with it because you two are finally friends now and wanting it to go farther is hurting him because he knows it can’t.”

“And just why not?” Seifer finished off his burger and glanced at the tight-lipped woman across from him realizing something with a frown,

“If you fuck with his feelings I will personally rip your balls off and tie your penis in a knot!” she hissed.

“What makes you think I would ever hurt him!” Seifer blurted out before he could stop himself. Pain showed through his eyes for a split second before he recovered. He sighed and put his head in his hands, trying to remember what he was thinking about.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know you felt so strongly.”

“Hold it, hold on a sec. Him having a hard time?” Seifer frowned at her. I had a feeling…

Quistis nodded. “Uh, yeah. He likes you too!”

Seifer gazed at her suspiciously. “Are you fucking with me?”

“I wouldn’t dare Seifer, there’d be no pleasure in it.” She smirked, letting him figure out the double meaning.

Seifer scoffed. “Sure.” He sighed again, letting the subject fly out the window. “So, are we going on the town tonight?”

“If you’re talking about the club, sure! I think Zell and Rinoa have the night off.”

“Where does Zell work? I mean, I know Rinoa works for her father or some means, but where in the world does chicken-wuss work?”

“Don’t call him that.” Quistis chewed on some ice from her cup.

“How about The Selphie and her Slave?”

“They said to ask you if you wanted to go out tonight. They’re obsessed with club dancing.”

“They do tend to three times as often as we do.” Seifer gathered the food onto his tray. “You done?”

“Yeah.” Quistis handed her tray to him and he left the table to dump them both. She put her elbows on the table and rested her head in her hands.

Seifer sat back down and twidled his thumbs. “So…”

“So.” She crossed her arms. “Be a good boy, or I’ll hafta get nasty.”

“Yes, mother.”

“Can we play the Star Wars drinking game?” Selphie bounced beside Quistis as they walked to the door of the Fifth Avenue.

“Okay,” The blond stopped. “Only if you don’t drink any alcohol in the club, because I don’t want to have to burden Irvine with having to hold your head over the toilet bowl.”

Irvine grinned and tipped his had. “Thankee.”

Selphie pouted. “Fine! Only water. The same goes for the rest of you!” She turned around to see the three other boys and Rinoa in a heated discussion. Selphie frowned. “What’s going on?”

They stopped and looked at her. “We’re just betting on whether the DJ will play this one song,” Squall explained.

“Seifer says that he always plays Push It by Garbage and we’re betting on it,” Rinoa backed him.

“Oh, well how come you didn’t include us?”

“You guys were fighting over what we were going do after clubbing,” Seifer told her. “Maybe we should play twister.” He grinned.

“I’m with the drinking game!” Squall raised a hand.

“Me too!” Rinoa and Squall ran to the door with Seifer close behind, yelling.

Seifer sat on a bar stool and spun around next to Quistis. “I finally got Squall to mingle with the commoners.”

“What do you mean by that?” Quistis glanced over at a pointing finger. She followed it to Squall, dancing with a red headed girl out in the crowd. He seemed to be having fun. “Your point being?”

“I got him to loosen up.”

“I thought you wanted him to dance with you. Thanks Ed.” She received a bottle of water from the bartender.

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean I have to keep him in a cage. He needs to experience life for himself.”

“Very good.” She patted his spiky blond hair. “You’ll do, boy. You’ll do.”

He grinned as she strolled away and saw Squall wink at him. He returned the favor then waved at Faye.

“Hey, what do ya want?” She sat on his lap.

“You.” He laughed when she made a funny face. “I’m joking!”

“You wouldn’t believe how many times I’ve heard that. You say it the best though.” Faye pinched his cheek.

Seifer laughed again. “I just want a water but I’m sure I can steal some from Quistis.”

“Just give me a minute. I got a big order from some guy up top who thinks he’s a big shot.”

“Cocky guy in the second level tables?”

“Yeah, but I don’t think he’ll start anything. His girlfriend couldn’t get him to dance, so he probably won’t be coming down.”

“Whatever. You have fun now!” Seifer pushed her off.

“Okay!” She strolled away and Seifer turned to see a sexy, yet sweaty brunette in front of him.

“Yo,” Squall said. “Some girl was asking about you. I told her you were mine.”

Seifer laughed. “Am I?”

Squall shrugged and grinned. “She didn’t believe me anyway.”

“Where is she?” The blonde looked around.

“I don’t know, she said she’d be over in a little. You gonna dance with her?”

“Hell, why not? She might be competition with you.”

Squall smirked and sat on the stool to Seifer’s left and they stared out at the moving crowd. “Nah,” he drawled. “You’re the only competition I have.”

Seifer grinned and was about to say something when someone tapped his shoulder.

“Hi there. I’m Britney.” Britney was a medium height blond with a big chest and tiny hips. She was wearing a short green glittered tank that revealed her toned abs and pierced navel. Her hips and legs were covered with skintight shiny pants.

Seifer raised an eyebrow and glanced at Squall. “I thought you said girl, not pole dancer!”

Britney laughed. “Actually, I work here.” She pointed upstairs at some of the other working girls, including Faye. “I’ve seen you dance and my boyfriend insisted upon coming here so, I decided to ask one of the best men for a dance.”

“So, why not him?” Seifer nodded to Squall.

“We already danced.” Squall winked at her with a grin.

“You suck at that you know.”

“Yeah, you’re better at it.” Squall pouted and found the floor interesting while the two blonds laughed at his antics.

“Come, Britney. Let’s leave this little man to cry over his emotional wounds while we have fun.” Seifer grinned and led her away while the other boy stuck his tongue out at their backs.

~~~

“Dude, Justin!”

“What?” Justin looked at his friend at the railing who was pointing at the crowd. “What do you want Chris?”

“Your girl is such a slut! She’s been dancing with every guy she can get her hands on.”

“It’s a club asshole. That’s what you do in clubs!”

“Not like the way she’s dancing with this guy. She didn’t dance like this with the others.”

Justin got up and leaned over the rail to see his girl dancing with some buff blond guy. He sneered. “Whatever.” He slumped back down in the booth. “That guy is gay. You saw how he was dancing with that other guy a couple weeks ago.”

“And you saw how one of their friends gave them money for that.” Another guy said.

“Just… watch her. Tell me if they do anything else.”

~~~

“Shit.”

<Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah, Johnny’s in America

Lautrec’s at the wheel>

“What?” Seifer swayed to the beat with Britney.

<Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah>

“My boyfriend’s guys are watching me. I hate that!”

<No one needs anyone

They don’t even just pretend>

“What do you mean? They’re watching over you so you don’t run off with me?”

“Yeah.” She smiled at his joking attitude.

<Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah, Johnny’s in America>

Why don’t we have some fun then?” He grinded into her.

<Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah>

She laughed. “You know he might get mad. He gets quite jealous and his,” she brought her hands up to emphasize, “BOYS, will beat the shit out of you.”

<I’m afraid of Americans, I’m afraid of the world

I’m afraid I can’t help it, I’m afraid I can’t>

“I’m a big boy, I think I can take care of myself.” Seifer grinned and Britney looked sincere.

<I’m afraid of Americans, I’m afraid of the world

I’m afraid I can’t help it, I’m afraid I can’t>

“I hope you can.”

<I’m afraid of Americans>

~~~

Squall moved from the bar to the table after a while. He watched as the two blonds conversed and danced. No one could dance as well as he and Seifer could.

<Johnny’s in America, Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah>

“A match made in heaven.”

“Yeah, huh?” Squall turned to Quistis as she sat next to him.

<Johnny wants a brain, Johnny wants to suck on a coke>

“A penny for your thoughts?”

“Euh, nothing.” His face turned a slight shade of red.

<Johnny wants a woman, Johnny wants to think of a joke>

“Sure. You’ve been staring dreamily at them for a while. Thinking about a certain someone and yourself?”

He sighed. “Not really.”

<Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah>

“No?” Quistis shook her head. “You should be.” She stood and strolled away leaving Squall to contemplate. He lay down on the chairs to think. A group of people shuffled past his table loudly and he sat up. It looked like a bunch of guys trying to take someone outside. “Probably some drunk guy.”

<Johnny’s in America, Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah>

He looked to the floor to see Britney on her knees, a hand on her face. He got up and went over to her. “Are you alright?” Squall knelt down and slowly pulled her hand away. A red hand covered her face. Squall’s stomach dropped.

<I’m afraid of Americans, I’m afraid of the world

I’m afraid I can’t help it, I’m afraid I can’t>

“Seifer- didn’t, did he?”

“No, it was Justin. He got mad for the way I was dancing with Seifer. It was Seifer’s idea to grind and stuff. And- and then they… before I could…”

<I’m afraid of Americans, I’m afraid of the world

I’m afraid I can’t help it, I’m afraid I can’t>

Squall went pale. The men, taking another outside…

“Squall!” Selphie ran up to the two. “It’s Seifer.”

<I’m afraid of Americans>

“Oh, Hyne.” Squall dashed toward the doors, slipping by people easily. The bouncer pointed to the alley, Selphie and Britney were hot on his heels. Two men were holding Seifer as another two took turns beating him. Another man looked on happily.

“Leave him alone!” Britney ran over and bitch-slapped the man watching. “Justin you asshole!” She then proceeded to knee him as the other men noticed Squall and Selphie.

They let Seifer slide to the ground and came after the two brunettes. Squall managed to hold his own for a while but Selphie had trouble. The guys were just as big as Seifer. She tried magic, but they just dispelled or countered it. One elbowed Squall and jumped on his back to strangle him as another was about to pick Selphie up. Zell charged around the corner and Quistis punched the guy on Squall’s back. Now the fight was even! Zell’s energy packed his punches and soon Justin yelled to leave.

“Oh, no!” Zell jumped on one guy and head butted him. The man fell to the ground. The other four ran leaving the group in victory and defeat…

…with Seifer. He was on the ground leaning against the building.

Britney covered her mouth and tears glittered in her eyes. Squall went straight to the scarred blond.

He gently put his hands on either side of Seifer’s face and his sea green eyes opened a crack. His breathing was short and looked painful. “I- I’m… okay…” he managed.

Squall let out a breath of relief. “Shh.”

That’s when Britney saw Chris, the one Zell head butted. “You stupid…!” Quistis moved as the irate blond walked over and kicked him in the balls with her stiletto heels. She grabbed him by the hair. “Tell Justin his ass is grass for hitting me.” She tossed him on the ground and he tried to crawl away. The muscles in her arms flexed with her anger.

“You go girl!” Zell grinned. Quistis put a hand on her shoulder and grinned.

Seifer winced and let out a groan.

“I don’t want to cure him here.” Selphie told them. “We need him safe and someplace where I can concentrate.”

Squall nodded. “Go get Irvine and Rinoa.” Selphie ran around the corner and he turned to the ailing blond man. “I’m going to pick you up. Be ready.” Zell helped Squall lift Seifer and balance the weight in his arms.

Seifer nodded in readiness and grimaced silently during walk to the car. Squall did the same for he could almost feel the pain Seifer was in. Quistis opened the door and Zell helped Squall place the cargo carefully on the seat. Zell shut the door.

“If only I’d paid attention.” Squall kicked a lightpost, denting it with his steel toed boots.

“Selphie saw them on the dance floor and followed them. Aren’t you glad she did?” Quistis put and arm around the angered man.

“Yes,” he hissed. “But…”

“No, buts! There was nothing you could do and you can’t change it,” she told him and led him around the car. “Comfort him while you can,” she whispered. “I know you want to.”

He stared at her. “How…”

“A big sister knows everything,” she hissed with a smirk and opened the other car door.

Squall looked down, then back up at her. “Thanks.” He smiled and slipped into the car.

Quistis sighed and shut the door. Zell stopped next to her. He watched Squall try to ease his rival’s pain. “He better not call me chicken-wuss anymore! I saved his butt!”

Quistis chuckled dryly. “I’m driving.” He nodded and gave her the keys to Squall’s car. “Sel, you, Irv and Rin take my car! Rinoa drives!”

“Why?!” Selphie pouted.

“I drive the safest.” Rinoa held out her had for the keys. Selphie sniffled and Irvine pulled out his set of keys, looking for the right one.

“We’ll meet you there!” Quistis slipped in the front door and started the engine. She sighed and put on her seatbelt. As she adjusted the mirror she glanced at the two in the back. Seifer smiled at something and Squall’s eyes lit like candles. Quistis smiled at Zell. “Let’s go home.”

Squall sat on his couch with his head in his hands. Quistis sat next to him with her arm around his shoulder. Irvine was upstairs playing the assistant to Selphie, while she cured Seifer. Squall glanced up to see Zell hand Britney and Rinoa cups of coffee. Squall scrunched his nose, he could never acquire a taste for that crap.

“He’s now resting comfortably.” Selphie was standing on the bottom stairs when everyone looked over. She finished the steps and came into the living room. “He had a few broken ribs and a broken arm. I healed those, but he wouldn’t let me heal the minor cuts and bruises. I set his jaw too.” She sighed and gazed around the room. Everyone looked relieved, except Squall. His face was anxious. “You can go see him now.”

Quistis pulled a reluctant Squall up. He hesitated, then ran up the stairs and stopped at Seifer’s doorway. The young man’s pale form lay on the bed. Squall stared at him, scared to go in. He admired how the blond looked so beautiful, even when battered, bruised and unconscious. Someone pushed him and he stumbled forward, not bothering to look back.

Cuts crossed the contours of Seifer’s beautiful face, and the bruises on his torso were starting to turn blue and purple. How could they? Squall’s hands balled into fists and he stared lasers into the floor. To my Seifer. MY Seifer! I’m the only one who can hurt Seifer! Nails dug into his palms. His teeth clenched and his body stiffened.

He growled and Quistis backed away from the door. “Oh, Hyne.”

She watched as Squall walked stiffly to his room and emerged with his gunblade.

“No, Squall!” She tried to stop him, but he shoved her off of him.

“I’m sorry, I have to.” He stared at Zell who after a small battle of the eyes finally, albeit grudgingly stepped to the side. They followed him down the stairs where he stopped in front of Britney. “Take me to them.”

She stood up and nodded, leading him out the door.

“Zell, Selphie, follow them. Don’t let him do anything stupid.” They nodded and left as Irvine and Quistis watched them follow. Irvine said he would keep watch until the group returned so Quistis went back to Seifer. The blonde shifted in his semi-unconsciousness and a frown crossed his face. His eyes blinked open and he saw her.

“Man, Quis, can’t I sleep for a minute without someone watching over me.” He snorted and turned away to hide his pain.

“Sorry. Sleep tight.” Quistis closed the door to give him a little privacy and pride. “He’s better off not knowing.”

Squall walked in sniff anger as Britney led him to Justin and his boys’ hideout. The buildings in the area were completely dilapidated but he didn’t take much notice. Anger and fury broiled in his mind, killing his conscience and any reasoning he had left.

<I can’t find the rhyme in all my reason

I’ve lost sense of time and all seasons>

They hurt MY Seifer and they WILL PAY! He squeezed the hilt of Griever and kept on Britney’s heels. Thoughts of violence swirled though his mind, ideas of his revenge.

<I feel I’ve been beaten down

By the words of men who have no grounds>

“Squall.” Britney stopped in front of an empty, run down building. “Please don’t kill him.”

“I can’t promise anything.” Squall squeezed his eyes shut and let his anger build into energy for the fight.

<I can’t sleep beneath the trees of wisdom

When your axe has cut through roots that feed them>

“Fine,” she replied and strolled to the door. She rapped on it and yells came from inside to go away.

<Forked tongues in bitter mouths

Can drive a man to bleed from inside out>

Squall sneered and ran up to it, kicking it in.

The group of five men was sitting on the floor in a circle, drinking. Justin stood and walked to the door. “What the hell do you…” Fear flooded over his face.

<What if you did?

What if you lied?>

“You’re the guy from the club…” He glanced over. “Britney, how could you…”

<What if I avenge?

What if eye for an eye?>

Her face got dark and she started forward, only to be stopped by Squall’s arm. He was facing the ground, trying to keep his anger in. It wasn’t working too well. The arm holding Britney back was shaking.

“What’s wrong with you man?” Justin asked confused, obviously buzzed from alcohol.

Squall’s head snapped up. “What’s wrong with you?” His steel eyes lacked any emotion other than fury and were dead to the world.

<I’ve seen the wicked fruit of your vine

Destroy the man who lacks a strong mind>

“Why did you attack and unarmed man, you stupid jealous bastard!” He jumped on Justin, knocking the blond man to the ground. They wrestled for a moment before the other guys jumped in to help.

<Human pride sings a vengeful song

Inspired by the times you’ve been walked on>

Squall struggled momentarily. Letting his anger out, he let out a horrendous growl and moved like an animal, striking before the men even knew he was attacking. His blows all hit their targets; punches, kicks and blows with his gunblade all shot out from his body.

<My stage is shared by many millions

Who lift their hands up high because they feel this>

Britney stood horrified in the doorway as Squall knocked Justin to the ground. All of his buddies were scattered around the edges of the room, either unconscious, or almost there. Surprisingly, there was no blood to be found, yet.

<We are one; We are strong

The more you hold us down the more we press on>

Squall advanced on the sniveling, crawling man; a snarl painted on his beautiful face.

<What if you did?

What if you lied?>

“Squall, no. Please,” Britney pleaded as Squall’s shaking gunblade came closer to Justin.

<What if I avenge?

What if eye for an eye?>

You hurt him, my Seifer. How could you hurt him? Squall’s thoughts never ceased on these phrases. Revenge was his only mission. It consumed his brain and he was no longer in control.

<I know I can’t hold the hate inside my mind

‘Cause what consumes your thoughts controls your life>

He was about to drive his blade into Justin when Zell burst in and grabbed him, pulling him backwards. Squall struggled to free himself and Selphie stopped in front of him and stared up accusingly. She frowned and opened her mouth to speak.

<So I’ll ask a question

A lonely simple question, I’ll just ask one question>

“Did you ever stop to think, for one moment, why you care so much?”

It was such a simple statement but the impact it had on Squall was phenomenal.

<What if, What if, What if, What if, What if I…>

Bewilderment swept across his face, then more anger as he digested the question. That jealous asshole hurt my Seifer. How could he hurt- My Seifer? My… What if… Recognition entered Squall and shock registered on his face as Zell let him fall to his knees.

Squall looked around in shock at the men he had hurt. Sure, they had done something horrible, but he could have called the police. He could have done anything, but he let his anger and feelings control and blind his thoughts.

<What if you did?

What if you lied?>

“My Seifer…” he whispered ever so softly. Why? Pain?

<What if I avenge?

What if eye for an eye?>

“What?” Zell knelt next to the brunette. Tears were flooding down Squall’s face from confusion. “Are you okay? Looks like you're going into shock”

“Not really, no. But I will be.” Squall sat and put his head in his hands. “I’m sorry Britney.”

<What if your words could be judged like a crime?>

“It’s fine Squall. I think they’ve learned their lesson. Right boys?”

Justin nodded and the other two conscious members groaned in agreement. Selphie smiled grimly and walked around to check their wounds.

Squall slumped back onto Zell. “I made a big mistake.”

“Yeah.” He leaned forward. “I’m sure Seifer will be flattered when he finds out.” Zell then frowned and pulled his hand from Squall’s side, covered in blood. He stared at it in alarm.

Never thought what would happen if I died, just him… Squall passed out.

“SELPHIE!!”

<What if I…>

I. Feel. Like. Shit. Seifer winced at the bright light as he woke up. He squinted his eyes to see an uncurtained window. Displeasure entered his mind and his lip curled in annoyance.

“I see the main man is awake!” Selphie bounced in. “How are you feeling?”

“Just as I expected.” He raised an eyebrow at a waiting Selphie. “Shit.”

“Ah.” She leaned over and put a hand on his face. “Cure.” He gasped as she worked her magic. It felt like a bucket of ice water had been poured on him.

“I don’t know how I endure that every time someone casts cure.” He shook his head and she smiled sweetly. He touched his face to find all of the bruises and cuts gone; save one. He sighed in relief.

“You think I would ever take that away from you?” Selphie sat on the side of the bed. “It’s quite a nice souvenir. I find that you look better with it. And so does Squall.”

“How is he by the way?” Seifer fingered the memory that connected them.

“He’s resting.”

“What a lazy bum,” Seifer scoffed.

“After he went out and tried to kill the guys who attacked you,” she blurted.

“What?!” Seifer sat up only to fall back in pain.

“Your ribs aren’t fully healed yet. Try not to make sudden movements,” Selphie advised.

He winced. “Duh.” He sighed and looked at the girl. “Is he alright?”

“Not at first.” She hesitated. “We watched him fight Seifer. It was horrible. His eyes were so dead and, Hyne it was so terrifying! It was nothing like when he fought with you. When you two fight, that brings him alive and you can tell. There, he was just an empty shell, of hate.” She swallowed and went on. “One of the guys managed to stab him in the side early on in the fight. We never even noticed until some time after Zell stopped him. He was so intent on his mission.” Her voice cracked. “Seifer we had to use phoenix down on him!” Tears poured down Selphie’s cheeks. “He lost so much blood. I thought we were going to lose him!”

Seifer hugged her and let her cry into his chest. Why? How could he? What if he died? Seifer clenched his teeth and blinked back tears.

Rinoa stopped at the door and waited until Seifer noticed her. “She told you?”

Seifer nodded and patted Selphie’s back. She sat up and sniffled, collecting herself.

“He’s still unconscious if you want to see him,” Rinoa offered.

“I’d like that.”

“I’ll go get Irvine and Zell.” Selphie left and Rinoa came forward.

“Are you alright?”

“Not with that. How could he? Why? What in the world made him want to…”

“You.”

Seifer looked up at her. “Come again?”

Rinoa looked at her hands. “I’ve never seen him look at anyone the way he looks at you.” She twiddled her thumbs. “You bring him alive. Sure, I got him to open up a little, but you, you bring his soul out.” She gazed at him. “He did it for you and he didn’t even know it.”

Seifer stared at the blankets. Me? Does he really care? Enough to die? Hyne knows I’d never want that! This will never happen again. I’m sick of seeing the people I love suffer! Seifer’s hands clenched the blankets and Selphie returned with the two other men.

“Come on. You need help walking.” Selphie coaxed the blond to the edge of the bed as Zell and Irvine helped him up. Seifer winced but held his peace as they helped him down the hall to Squall’s room. They carefully deposited him in a comfortable chair next to Squall’s bed and left him with Selphie. Rinoa waved from the door and followed the boys away.

“I wanted you to see this.” Selphie stood on the other side on the bed. She then held her hand above Squall’s head and said, “Cure.”

The bruises on Squall’s face disappeared, leaving the scar on his forehead to remain. His beauty shined through, even in his sleep.

“Cute isn’t he?” Selphie whispered. “Call me if you need anything.”

Seifer watched her leave then turned back to the pale figure on the bed. He sighed thinking. What to say…Gosh I don’t know…

<Hello my friend we meet again

It’s been a while, where should we begin…feels like forever>

He sighed again, rubbing his face. “I can’t believe you. You’re such a cocky little upstart. I totally corrupted you.” He chuckled.

<Within my heart are memories

Of perfect love that you gave to me>

“I’m glad, flattered really. You didn’t have to do that. I don’t ever want to see you hurt again.” Seifer bit his lip as a tear rolled down his cheek. “Ever.”

<I remember>

He put his hand on Squall’s and squeezed it. “Not for my sake. Not for someone who hurt you and taunted you and was such a selfish bastard to you for so many years. Why?” He gritted his teeth.

<When you are with me

I’m free…I’m careless…I believe>

“Why did you have to do it? I’m not worth as much as you are. You’re someone who deserves saving. I’m a greedy jerk who wanted his dream to himself, to share with no one. I don’t want you to die for me, not when I’m so worthless.”

<Above all the others we’ll fly

This brings tears to my eyes>

“You’re worth everything to me.” Squall’s hand squeezed Seifer’s and another tear ran down the blond’s surprised face.

<My sacrifice>

“You learned from that experience right?” Gray eyes opened to Seifer. “I wouldn’t want you to change in any way.”

Seifer stared at him in shock and the brunette grinned. “Breathe, Seifer.” The blond swallowed and did as Squall said. “I’m not as fragile as some might think.”

<We’ve seen our share of ups and downs

Oh, how quickly life can turn around, in an instant>

“Yeah!” Seifer frowned. “I mean, yeah you’re dangerous.” He fingered the scar and wiped his tears away. “How- how are you feeling?”

<It feels so good reunite

Within yourself and within your mind>

Squall sighed and looked at the ceiling. “Better.” He looked at his rival. “I wasn’t thinking.”

“That’s unheard of.”

<Let’s find peace there>

The man in bed grinned. “I know. I’m sorry for worrying you.”

“Same here.”

<Cause when you are with me

I’m free…I’m careless…I believe>

They subsided into silence and watched birds perched on Squall’s windowsill.

<Above all the others we’ll fly

This brings tears to my eyes>

“What happens next?” Squall asked.

“Whatever we want.” Seifer squeezed the hand still attached to his.

<My sacrifice>

Squall smiled. “I don’t think Justin and his boys will be bothering us.”

“No, they won’t.” Quistis said from the doorway. “Britney and Justin stopped by and talked to your father. He wants to know if Seifer wants to do anything. Justin backed out on account of your excellent fighting abilities.” She bit her lip and smiled.

“Naw, I’m cool.” Seifer nodded. “I think we’re all even.”

She nodded. “I’ll leave you two alone then.” They waved as she left but their hands stayed together.

<I just want to say hello again>

“So…” Squall trailed off.

“So, when can we get to the club again? I am so ready to dance!” Seifer grinned as Squall chuckled.

<Cause when you are with me

I’m free…I’m careless…I believe>

“Don’t make me laugh. It hurts to laugh.” He smiled.

<Above all the others we’ll fly

This brings tears to my eyes>

Seifer looked down with a smile. “Soon?”

“Soon.”

Glittering green met shimmering silver. “I can wait.”

<My sacrifice>

 

 

I HATE leaving you guys hanging like this but I need time to write more. I love feedback so please reply!

 

Songs used: I’m Afraid of Americans by David Bowie and NIN, What If and My Sacrifice by Creed

I own none of these songs; they belong to their respective writers and singers.

Return to Archive | next | previous