My attempts at serious fics almost never turn out that way, but I'm gonna try, dammit! Comments appreciated! It's also my first attempt at a yaoi fic. I forget who wrote it, but I read a fic where Seifer played the piano at the orphanage... A Squeifer...

Original Hallelujah lyrics by Rufus Wainright. I changed some of the lyrics to fit the game's storyline. These wil be in bold italics.

Hallelujah

Part 1

By okanechan

Seifer felt like shit. This was a completely normal thing to occur, considering he had just come out of Ultimecia's control and was able to think for himself for the first time in a while. He betrayed the only friends he had: Fujin, Raijin, Zell, and especially Squall. It was not apparent to everyone, but Seifer and Squall were not enemies, or even friends; it went deeper than that.

After the Time Compression fiasco, he hung out with his "posse" for a bit, but he realized that they weren't as close as they used to be. He went to the only place he could think of where he wouldn't be harassed, Edea's orphanage.

As he walked into the main hall, he noticed that the piano was still there, and in relatively good condition. "Miraculous," he thought. After all these years, the piano was still in tune. He sat on the bench, not caring about the dust that would end up on his trenchcoat. Seifer tested a couple of chords, and then inspiration struck.

He began to play a simple song in the simplest of keys, C major. The words just poured out of him as if inspired by Hyne herself, or maybe something even more powerful, the sadness of a love no longer requited.

I've heard there was A secret chord That David played, and It pleased Great Hyne But you don't really care For music, do you?

During the orphanage days, Squall and the others would vacillate from taunting to words of awe the few times he was allowed to touch the ivory and ebony keys.

It goes like this: The fourth, the fifth The minor fall, the major lift

He went into a crescendo while his chords moved higher up the scale.

The baffled king Composing Hallelujah Hallelujah, Hallelujah Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Your faith was strong But you needed proof

Seifer remembered a conversation with Squall. "Squall? Do you believe in love?"

"Yes, but not for me."

"Why not? Everyone deserves love, right?"

"Whatever."

You saw her dancing You were aloof Her beauty and the Moonlight overthrew you

Seifer and Rinoa were friends. Sure, they kissed a couple of times, but it only proved to Seifer one thing: Squall was the only one for him.

She tied you to a kitchen chair She broke your throne And she cut your hair And from your lips She drew the Hallelujah

Everyone on the planet saw the video feed from the first transmission of the Ragnarok. It had been in space for 17 years; it was a momentous occasion not only for Esthar, but the entire world. One would have to be an idiot not to realize that Squall and Rinoa were in love.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah Hallelujah, Hallelujah

I know I've been here before I know this room I've walked this floor I used to live alone Before I knew you

Before his parents died, Seifer was lonely. His parents were archaeologists, travelling to the most remote regions of the planet. There was often nobody else his age for miles.

I've seen your flag On the marble arch Love is not a victory march It's a cold and It's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Seifer was at the Garden during the celebration. Nobody noticed; they were having so much fun congratulating Commander Leonheart, with Rinoa proudly by his side.

There was a time You let me know What's really going on below But now you never show It to me, do you?

Squall and Seifer never used to keep any secrets. Seifer wondered if Squall would ever tell Rinoa the truth about his relationship with the Sorceress' Knight.

I remember when I moved in, you The holy dark Was moving too And every breath we drew Was Hallelujah Hallelujah, Hallelujah Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Wistfully, Seifer remembered the times he and Squall had made love. Even then, Seifer knew that he could never experience something that intense with anybody else.

Maybe Hyne is there above And all I ever Learned from love Was how to shoot At someone Who outdrew you

Seifer really didn't want to merge Rinoa with Adel, but somehow, Ultimecia drew on his feelings of jealousy. He was smirking when they merged. He honestly thought that with Rinoa as an evil sorceress, he and Squall could be together, not only as lovers, but as knights in battle.

It's not a cry You can hear at night It's not somebody Who's seen the light It's a cold and It's a broken Hallelujah

Tears splashed the ivory keys. His fingers slipped for a split second, causing him to play a wrong note. He no longer cared. He was suicidal. He wanted to do nothing but play this repetitive set of chords until he wasted away. Once again, Seifer had failed. He failed the SeeD exams. He failed to help Rinoa. He failed to win back Squall. What's the point of living if you'll never succeed?

Hallelujah, Hallelujah Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Seifer was so absorbed in his self-pity that he never noticed the man who was watching him play. He couldn't take it anymore; he couldn't see his friend, his former lover, in such a sad state. Squall walked over to the piano and placed a hand on Seifer's shoulder.

He turned his head, never ceasing to play, but a smile lit his face as he saw that Squall's face did not show hatred. His eyes were understanding. He had been lonely as well.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Return to Archive | next