Disclaimer: All places, characters are not mine, nothing here is mine, everything belongs to Squaresoft.

Double Take

Chapter 7

By Purple Penguin

The doctor stood in her office with Quistis, Irvine, Selphie and Seifer.

She shrugged and pointed through to where Squall sat on a bed. “That is Squall Leonhart.”

Seifer smirked. “Told you.”

“B-But that’s impossible I spoke to Squall on the phone this morning.”

“DNA can’t lie Miss Trepe.”

She continued as she watched up to the glass window around Squall’s room. “This Squall doesn’t belong here, maybe it would be best if you asked Dr Odine for some advice, he might be able to tell you where he came from.”

Selphie opened her mouth but snapped it shut again not knowing what to say.

“It’s quite interesting really, this Squall and our Squall are so different just from one major event in their lives.”

“And what was that?”

“Squall told me his father went to Esthar to save Ellone but he died trying, his mother didn’t die and she brought him up.”

Selphie clapped a hand over her mouth. “Sir Laguna died?!”

The doctor smiled reassuringly. “Not in this world, Selphie.”

“Why did he die?”

“Adel was too strong and he didn’t have his friends to help him, he never met them, I’m not sure why.” She handed a note pad to Quistis. “I made notes if there’ll useful take them.”

“How do you know all this?”

“I asked for his life story and he told me, he’s really quite friendly.” She narrowed her eyes at the group. “Or at least he is to people who don’t lock him up and confuse the poor kid.”

Selphie looked shamed. “I didn’t want to, they made me do it! Can I go talk to him?”

The doctor pointed to the bed where the brunette sat. Selphie waljed up to him followed by Seifer. Squall smiled and climbed into Seifer’s lap as soon as the blonde had sat down.

Selphie sat opposite them. “Squall?”

The brunette brightened. “You believe me?”

“I’m so sorry, but different universes aren’t the first thing you think of when another version of a friend shows up.”

“We’re all sorry.”

Squall looked up at Irvine and Quistis who stood in the doorway.

“It’s okay.”

“You forgive us? Already?”

“Of course.”

Selphie looked up at the others. “I like him better than our Squall, he doesn’t sulk.”

Everyone had to smile at that.

Irvine knelt in front of Squall. “So there’s no me in your world?”

“I don’t know him, how did you guys meet?”

“I was in the Orphanage with you guys, we meet up again in the sorceress’ war.”

“You have a war too? But you’re all so happy.”

Seifer stroked the brunette’s hair. “We did have a war and it was horrible but we have to move on, right?”

Squall stared at the group. “Your war ended?”

“Yes, a few years ago, that was the second sorceress’ war there was one before that.”

Squall looked down at the ground. “Our war never ended, it’s on-going and has been for many years, that’s how my father died. SeeD are fighting the war against Adel and Ultimecia. Trabia switched sides and betrayed us to Esthar but-”

“No way! Trabia would never do that!” Selphie yelled.

“They did, but luckily for us the damage wasn’t too bad, they found out that most of our children and mothers were taking shelter in Dollot but the major was quick to evacuate to Galbadia.”

Everyone grew silent for a few minutes until Quistis spoke up. “Well this has been a very interesting history lesson but I think we should go prepare for our journey.”

“Journey?” Squall asked suspiciously.

Quistis patted his hair in a motherly fashion. “Seifer will fill you in dear.”

Seifer stood slowly, pushed the other man up in front of him. Selphie bounced along side them like an excited puppy.

“You’re going to love it! We get to go by train! I LOOOOOOOOVE trains! Ands a long way, just the five of us on an adventure!”

Squall chuckled at her ramblings.

“Don’t worry about Selphie, we have yet to discover what she’s high on.”

The petite girl hit Irvine in the chest for that comment.

Squall leant on Seifer and yawned. “Tired?”

He nodded.

“You can rest in my room for a while if you want, we don’t leave until evening.”

“Today?”

“Yeah, I think the rest of garden will be glad if you aren’t there, it’s not your fault. They don’t know and until Dr Odine has seen you they might not believe it.”

Squall froze. “We’re going to see Dr Odine?”

“Yes he can help you....” He trailed off. “Sweetie, you’re shaking what is it?”

“He’s not like ours is he? He’s a torturer used by Adel to get information out of her victims!”

Seifer kissed the other man on the forehead. “Our Odine is merely a scientist he’ll do some tests on you and that is all, I’ll be with you the whole time. Did you really think I’d let him anywhere near you if I knew he’d hurt you.”

“I know I’m just being stupid.” He paused as he stepped into the lift with Seifer.

“Seifer?”

“Yes?”

“The president of Esthar is......”

“Not Adel.”

“I know. The security guard told me that Laguna Loire was the president is that true?”

Seifer winced. “Yeah that’s right.”

“But I thought your Squall was an orphan.”

“He was, it’s a long story.”

“Can I meet him?”

“Who? Squall?”

“No Laguna.”

The lift stopped at their floor and Seifer stepped out followed by Squall.

“I’m not sure if that’s a good idea.”

“Why not? I only want to meet him, I know he’s not my real father, won’t he want to meet me?”

“Knowing Laguna he probably will want to meet you. I’ll ask Kiros when we get there and see what he thinks.”

“Who?”

“He’s a presidential aide.”

“Why ask him and not Laguna?”

Seifer smirked. “Well he more sensible and he’s known the president for more than 30 years so he knows him better than he knows himself.”

Seifer tapped in the door code. “Get some sleep we’ll talk on the train.” He kissed the other man lightly on the lips.

“But-”

“I’ll answer anything else on the train.”

Return to Archive | next | previous